Wednesday, August 3, 2011

So much has happened...

I finally have a moment to update our blog. So many things have happened these past couple of months. We got a phone call from family in Australia letting us know that one of my husband's brothers has terminal cancer in his liver and bowels, and that there is nothing they can do about it. A few weeks later, the doctors diagnosed him with having only 4 weeks left to live. Well, he did not have to suffer that long. Our beloved brother passed away on July 23rd, 2011. It's times like these when we wish we could have lived closer to family. I have felt like I have been walking around in a fog for awhile just trying to cope with my husband's loss. Growing up in the Samoan culture means that it is difficult for him to show his emotions, and they do things differently than I have been raised. But it gives our family another opportunity to learn from other cultures. I know there has been an element of guilt, especially as we have not had the money or the passports to be able to go to Australia for the funeral. As we have contemplated life and death these past few months, I realize how grateful I am to be able to understand that death is not the end. I know that we will be able to see our loved ones again. Right now, we just have to take it day by day, one baby step at a time. But we can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment